Monday, May 27, 2013

Challenge #4 - Topsy Turvy Terra Cotta Planter (Success!! After a few modifications lol)

This was a fun challenge for me but I did have to make a couple of modifications. I bought all the terracotta pots at the home depot along with a 4ft piece of rebar. I bought 1 10inch, 1 8inch, and 3 6inch pots. After several days of rain here I was finally able to start to put this together. I had decided that spray paint was the best option (Krylon Spray Paint from Wal-mart - $4.98). This was not necessarily the best choice and I shall explain. I chose a red and a yellow spray paint so that I could do an alternating pattern. The red was a good choice and covered well.... the yellow not so much. It was really hard to cover the terracotta with the yellow and as a result for 2 pots I used an entire can of spray paint and was not happy with the results (I still had some red left after spraying 3 pots and one was the largest of them all - gives you an idea of how the different colours covered). So to fix this, I got some bright yellow acrylic paint and painted the pots with it. Originally I thought only 1 coat should cover as I already had a base from the spray paint. Again I was wrong. It took three coats of the acrylic paint before I was happy enough with the result. You can still see the brush strokes on the yellow pots but I am ok with this. In order to have continuity between the spray painted pots and the painted acrylic pots, I sprayed the yellow pots with a clear gloss spray paint to add a glossy shine to it. Once this was done and dry I was able to start assembling it. I took a hammer and got the rebar into the ground so that it would be strong enough to support the pots. I then placed the first and largest pot of the group after placing it on the rebar, I then filled the pot with potting soil. After that I placed the 8inch pot in such a way so that it would lean to the side. I continued this until I reached the last pot. I had originally thought I was going to do the bird bath from the original post but after playing with the configuration of the pots I figured it was too difficult to ensure that the bowl stayed properly. I opted to make the top pot a planter as well and I was definitely not disappointed with the final result. I bought all the plants I used at Wal-mart and there is a list of those at the bottom of this post. I filled all the pots with Miracle Grow Potting soil and arranged the different flowers into each pot. And viola we were done! You can find both the list of plants I used and the link for the original post below!

The Front 

One Side 

 And the Other

The plants I used: French Margold, Petunias (3 colours - white, purple, red with white boarder), Salvia, Dusty Miller, Alyssum, Celosia, Vinca Vine, Coleus, and Lobella.



No comments:

Post a Comment