Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Challenge #2 - Christmas Swirl Sugar Cookies (Success!)




    This was an interesting one for me as I got through adding most of the ingredients into my mixer and realized that there really was no liquid included (which I thought was really strange - only 1 tsp of vanilla). After mixing all the ingredients I realized that it was not going to work so I added an egg and then added some milk until I felt the dough was the right consistency (for these cookies it should be a thick but not terribly sticky, you need to be able to roll out the dough). Luckily enough these turned out to be the best cookies I've ever made and they also look awesome as well!

    Once you have the ingredients mixed you split the dough in two and you add food colouring to one of the halves. Once this is done you can roll out both colours of dough into rectangles this is best done on wax paper, this makes later steps easier. At this point you chill both halves in the fridge for 2hrs. After the dough is chilled you can remove and brush some water over one later and then place both halves together and seal together by pinching the edges. You can then roll both together. Once you have created your cookie log you can roll it in sprinkles - for this part they may not stick right away. I found I had to press the sprinkles into the dough to ensure that they would stay. Now it's time to wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for another 3-4hrs. After the chilling time you can begin to cut the log into cookies.

  

     Once you have the cookies cut you can lay it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-17mins @ 350 degrees. These cookies were extremely tasty and look amazing!! I got several compliments on them at various Christmas get-togethers. The recipe is below as well as the original post :)


Recipe:

2 cups flour, plus possibly a few more tbsp
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (cut in chunks)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp of food coloring of your choice
1 1/2 cup holiday sprinkles
** I added an egg and just enough milk to get the right consistency

Original Post:
http://ouritaliankitchen.blogspot.ca/2010/12/colorful-swirl-cookies.html

No comments:

Post a Comment